An Early St James’s Church, Mangere Trunk
Size 54cm long x 37cm wide x 30cm high.
This is an early hand painted tin trunk featuring the name St James’s Mangere on the front. Inside are round compartments possibly for carrying the alter candles. We did get told by the previous owner that this trunk was used to smuggle booze into the church but we will take that with a grain of salt! The style of the painting dates to around 1890.
St James is the country's oldest surviving Selwyn church, a style named after the first Anglican bishop of New Zealand George Selwyn. The church was built in a joint effort by local iwi Ngati Mahuta and Pakeha settlers in 1859 using volcanic rock quarried from Te Maunga o Mangere.
This trunk is very old and the paint is a little brittle, we would prefer pick up to protect its history.